If you've started a small business like woodworking, tinkering on motors, or crafting, you may have realized you need more space than you have available in your garage or bedroom. Perhaps you've wondered about renting and utilizing a storage unit to use as a personal workshop, but don't be tempted. Here's are the reasons why you should not use a storage unit as a workshop:
- No Electrical Outlets: You'd have difficulty getting any work done in a storage unit since many do not have electrical outlets. In addition, lighting is usually minimal and can be dim.
- Low Wi-Fi Connectivity: Concrete floors, metal roofs, and metal walls can each disrupt a Wi-Fi signal. These are the same materials used to construct most storage units.
- No Access to Bathrooms: Storage units are meant to store items, not people, so it should come as no surprise that public restrooms are often unavailable.
- Lack of Climate Control: Most storage units are not climate controlled and can be very cool in the fall and winter months.
- Lack of Ventilation: A purposeful lack of ventilation protects the items you store in your storage shed. This strategy decreases the exposure to damp air that may cause mold or rust. It also means that the air in any given storage unit gets stale and isn't conducive to spending lengths of time.
- Illegal in some states: Although storage unit laws vary from state to state, it is illegal in many states to use your storage unit as a workshop or to live in your storage unit.
The Bottom Line
We do not allow people to use any of our self-storage solutions as workshops or living quarters for many of the reasons listed above. The bottom line is that there are a plethora of other solutions available for those capacities. Our storage units were created with the intention of providing you extra space to store your property, not for living or working in. So if you're strapped for space and are intent on building a workshop, consider renting a storage unit to pack up and store some extra items from a spare room or your garage. This can help carve out space for your workshop space in the comfort of your home.
About Idaho Storage Connection
Idaho Storage Connection offers various storage unit sizes with facilities in Boise , Eagle , and Nampa , Idaho. You will find the size you need to fit all your belongings at a price that will fit conveniently into your budget. We also have a great blog resource with valuable information like:
If you'd like to tour one of our facilities or get a quote, call (208) 376-0700 or submit a contact form .