After a summer full of adventure and travel, it is time to park your RV for the winter. A recreational vehicle is a serious investment, so you want the best possible storage facility for your needs. When shopping around for a place to store your RV, there are some dos and don'ts you should consider.
RV Storage Dos
Whether this is the first or the tenth winter that you have stored your RV, there are some things you should keep in mind.
- Take careful measurements of your RV. Do not guess on the size of the unit you need. Be sure to take into consideration any after-market antennas, ventilation units on the roof, ladders, or cargo holders on the back.
- Make sure you properly winterize your RV. We offer step-by-step instructions in our RV Storage Resource Guide. In addition, wipe down everything to discourage rodents.
- Choose a storage facility that is close to home. This makes it easy to check on your RV over the winter.
- Visit the storage facility before renting a unit. Is there a manager on-site to deal with questions or concerns? What type of amenities do they have?
- Consider if you need to store anything else soon. Purchasing one larger unit for the RV, as well as any other belongings, may be cheaper than having to purchase two separate units. Check out our Storage Unit Sizing Guide to determine the right size for your needs.
RV Storage Don'ts
In the rush to store your RV for the winter, here are some things you should not forget.
- Be afraid to ask for help with winterization. Many RV dealers and repair shops offer winterization services.
- Forget to check the refrigerator, freezer, and cabinets for any food or beverages.
- Park your RV and forget about it. You will want to do periodic checks to examine the exterior, interior, tires, etc. Catching issues early is easier. Then when you are ready to get your RV out in spring you will not be delayed with a surprise issue.
- Think a basic tarp is an adequate covering. Tarps may not stay down, or worse, even trap moisture. Use a cover specifically for your RV and your climate.
RV Storage in Boise, ID
Do not wait until the last minute to find the right storage unit. Cold weather will be before you know it.
If you're looking for affordable RV storage in the Boise, Eagle, or Nampa contact us today. When it comes to storing your RV when it is not in use, Idaho Storage Connection is your premier RV storage destination. We are happy to provide a premiere storage space for your RV in the Boise, Idaho area. Our convenient locations in Boise ( Franklin, Joplin, and Joplin II), Eagle and Nampa ( Karcher and Usave), Idaho are kept spotless and are fully fenced, with cameras at every gate, and computer-controlled gate access.