Calculating a storage unit's size is more than determining the amount of square footage you will have in the unit. To most accurately select the right size unit, there are several factors you should take into account.
How Do You Determining the Size of Storage Unit You Need?
Before you sign a contract to rent a storage unit, it is essential to consider what you need to store. If your son or daughter is coming home from college with their dorm contents, you don't need the same size unit as you would if you were downsizing your home and that has a lot of furniture. At Idaho Storage Connection, our facility has various storage unit sizes to meet your range of storage needs.
Popular Storage Unit Sizes
When determining what your storage needs are, consider this overview of our most popular storage unit sizes.
- 5x5: equivalent to the size of a closet in your home. Suitable for dorm room storage and holiday decorations.
- 5x10: similar in size to a small, walk-in closet. It can comfortably fit a queen or king-size mattress.
- 5x12: the size of a large walk-in closet. This size can easily accommodate a kitchen table and chairs or a washer and dryer.
- 10x10: half of a one-car garage, large enough for a grand piano.
- 10x15: slightly smaller than a one-car garage. Suitable for storing compact cars.
Which Items Can You Put in Storage and Which Items are Not Allowed?
While your holiday decorations, old furniture, or clothes make great candidates for a storage unit, you should know what items shouldn't be stored in a storage unit. When compiling your list of what you need to store, exclude items such as:
- Food, plants, and perishables — they attract pests
- Corrosive or flammable materials
- Living things — humans or animals
- Family heirlooms
- Firearms, ammunition, explosives
- Unregistered vehicles
- Wet items that will cause mold growth
At Idaho Storage Connection, we realize there is much to think about when choosing a storage company. For this reason, we have compiled several resource guides to help answer any of your questions:
We are incredibly proud to offer a variety of storage options to our customers, and we realize there are a lot of storage providers for you to choose from in the Treasure Valley. We are confident you'll find what you need at Idaho Storage Connection, with excellent facilities and amenities. Call us today to learn more about what size options will work best for you and your storage needs or to schedule a tour of one of our six facilities: