What is Self-Storage?
When you suddenly have a lot of stuff, you might not know where to put all of it. In that case, self-storage is the solution you need! Self-storage can come in handy under a lot of circumstances.
Reasons for Using Self-Storage
Settling a Loved One’s Estate Many people rely on self-storage to hold items while preparing an estate sale. Welcoming a New Member to a Household Whether a new baby or a senior adult is joining your household, you can store your items temporarily to make space for the new member's belongings. Remodeling a Home If you are remodeling a home, it’s often helpful to store your TV, furniture and other items so you do not have to work around them or worry about them getting damaged. Family Member Temporarily Leaving When a family member leaves for a mission, military, college, or another reason, consider temporary storage for their belongings until they return. Building a New House Many people rent or live with extended family while building a new home. They simply do not have room for a whole home’s worth of belongings where they are temporarily living, so they rely on self-storage to keep their items safe. Seasonal or Holiday Storage Off-season or extra decorations can be conveniently stored in self-storage and swapped out as needed. Staging a Home for Sale You can keep your house uncluttered during an open house by putting items in storage. Downsizing a Home Any items that do not fit when moving to a smaller home can be stored in self-storage. Extra Space Self-storage can also be used as extra space for belongings that do not fit in your home.
Types of Storage Units
Outside or Drive-Up Storage Units
- Like a garage
- Can drive right up to it
- Good for bigger items
Business Storage Units
- Used for extra business inventory
Indoor or Hallway Storage Units
- Have to walk through a building to access
- Extra security of the added door
- Good for small items
- Boat and RV Storage
- Great for recreational vehicles you don't have room for on your property
How Much Do Storage Units Cost?
- Varies depending on size, location, and other factors
- Can pay monthly or sign a contract for longer storage
- Can be fees in the contract
- Potential for late fees if not paid on time
- Clean-up fee if the storage unit is not cleaned properly upon the end of use
What Are Common Storage Unit Sizes?
- Roughly the size of a closet
- Good for items like a Christmas tree, decorations, or small dresser
- Roughly the size of a smaller walk-in closet
- Good for items like a king-sized mattress or large appliances
- Roughly the size of a larger walk-in closet
- Good for items like couches, kitchen tables, and washers/dryers
- Roughly half the size of a one-car garage
- Good for items like large furniture, a grand piano, or larger appliances
- Slightly smaller than a one-car garage
- Good for items like compact cars, most furniture, or lots of boxes
Is Self-Storage Right for You?
For more information, check out our Storage Units Resource Guide and our Self-Storage Resource Guide. Contact us for more information about pricing and to discuss your self-storage needs! Idaho Storage has locations in Boise, Nampa, and Eagle!